The Montgomery County (Texas) Hospital District (MCHD) provides health care for needy residents north of Houston, Texas. Known throughout the nation as an innovative and forward-thinking organization, MCHD’s emergency medical services team provides emergency and non-emergency ambulance transport for the citizens of and visitors to Montgomery County. Covering 1,100 square miles and a population of 360,000, the agency responds to approximately 30,000 calls for medical assistance each year.
The Challenge. Rapid growth within the emergency medical services division of MCHD revealed that that MCHD needed an industry-specific, skill-based leadership program that could be designed and delivered within a six-week time-frame. MCHD called on Trinity Training and Development to explore training and development options that would address the needs of both field and office supervisors and managers.
The Solution. Trinity consultants met with EMS senior leadership, supervisors from various departments, and in-field supervisors to assess training needs, identify specific employee issues, and determine skill gaps. Trinity custom designed a mid-level management program with three components:
- A four-day classroom training that focused on employee development, coaching and feedback, and communication systems and strategies.
- A one-on-one coaching component where participants met with Trinity consultants to discuss specific employee issues, identify additional resources, and set clear action plans for growth.
- Structured activities to facilitate the transfer of classroom learning to the job. Training participants met with employees who would benefit from one-on-one sessions, increased leader contact, and participation in specific activities such as coaching or identifying personal motivators.
The Results. The new leaders reported the following outcomes:
- Clear “game plans” for managing and addressing employee development needs – including plans for addressing performance gaps that impacted team effectiveness and morale
- Clear processes for mediating conflict, resulting in improved team performance and reduced tension among team members
- Clear communication, leading to greater cooperation and subsequent employee behavior changes
- Improved planning skills in preparing for and conducting employee feedback sessions
“Attending the Mid-Level management training has transformed the way I view my role as a leader and my interactions with employees. I’ve implemented what I have learned in class and it is already making a difference. My only regret is not having taken the course years ago.”
“As a new supervisor, I was given ideas and tools that helped mold me into a better leader.”
“A “must have” for anyone interested in becoming a much more effective leader.”
“I learned about myself and how to improve on my deficiencies as a leader.”
“This is a great program that is well worth the time. I received a number of different tools that immediately increased my effectiveness as a communicator and leader. These are tools I can use for the rest of my life.”
“I am a new supervisor. This program has been a great experience for me. I have learned how to deal with all different types of employees and determine what they need from me.”